I received the following in an email from The Christian Institute -
As you know, this Sunday (2 June) is the National Day of Prayer for Marriage. It's very timely because the very next day, Monday 3 June, the House of Lords has its first opportunity to vote down the Bill to redefine marriage.
Please will you encourage your Christian friends to pray for marriage on Sunday? Here are some ideas to get you started:
• Ask prayer partners to focus on marriage this Sunday.
• Ask church leaders to pray for marriage during your church services on Sunday.
• Why not have an additional five minutes at your church's Sunday services dedicated to this issue?
• Ask your home/cell group leaders to make this a focus for prayer.
• Why not set up a special prayer meeting centred on marriage?
• Ask your Christian friends to be praying for marriage during their own private devotions.
• Ask Christian families to pray about marriage during their family worship time.
And here's what to pray for:
• That marriage will not be redefined, and that it will be promoted in society for the good of all.
• That on Monday 3 June a majority of Peers will vote against the Bill to redefine marriage.
• For the Coalition for Marriage group as it campaigns to defend the historic meaning of marriage.
• For parliamentarians and others in public life to have the courage to stand up for their convictions.
• For the news media, that they would report the issue widely, fairly, and accurately.
• That the consequences of redefining marriage would be publicly known and properly discussed.
• That people would not face discrimination, in the workplace or elsewhere, because of their sincere beliefs about marriage.
Open prayer is encouraged, but this written prayer may also be of help:
We thank You for the gift of marriage which You established at the dawn of time, to be a blessing for all generations throughout the earth, down through the ages.
We pray that You would fill each and every marriage with Your love and grace, and that every husband and wife would know the joy that comes from sharing and giving.
We thank You for establishing marriage to be a secure and stable environment for raising children.
We pray for all those who do not enjoy those blessings, remembering that You are a Father to the orphan and a Husband to the widow.
We pray, as You have commanded us, for those in positions of civil authority. We ask that You would have mercy on our nation as the Government seeks to redefine marriage which is so precious in Your sight.
We pray that our government will act with wisdom and righteousness, upholding marriage as the voluntary union of one man to one woman for life, for the good of all people.
We pray for our nation, as our government seeks to redefine marriage. We pray that these plans would fail.
And we pray for ourselves, that we would speak out in support of marriage with gentleness and kindness, but also with courage and confidence.
In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord we pray.
Yours in Christ,