Friday, 8 February 2013

22 Years

Today, the 8th February 2013, marks 22 years of my being ill with ME. I thought it a good time to post another favourite hymn and also a short poem -


Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart,
Draw me, my Saviour, so precious Thou art;
Fold me, O fold me close to Thy breast,
Shelter me safe in that "Haven of Rest,"
Shelter me safe in that "Haven of Rest."

Nearer, still nearer, nothing I bring,
Naught as an off'ring to Jesus my King;
Only my sinful, now contrite heart,
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart,
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.

Nearer, still nearer, Lord, to be Thine,
Sin, with its follies, I gladly resign;
All of its pleasures, pomp and its pride,
Give me but Jesus, my Lord crucified,
Give me but Jesus, my Lord crucified.

Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last,
Till safe in glory my anchor is cast;
Through endless ages, ever to be,
Nearer, my Saviour, still nearer to Thee,
Nearer, my Saviour, still nearer to Thee.

Leila N Morris, 1862 – 1929


The following poem is taken from “Echoes of Eternity” by Michael R Abbott; used with permission.

Refuge For The Soul

Rest to the weary, joy to the sad,
Hope to the faithful, peace to the bad:
All that is needful is found in the Lord;
Jesus the Saviour be praised and adored.

Those who are lost in the byways of life,
Cumbered with cares and surrounded by strife,
Find in the Saviour a refuge secure:
A guide in the night and a light to endure.

Sinners bereft of their hope, bound by sin,
Troubled by conscience, unable to win,
Rise at the sound of the Saviour’s dear voice;
By Him they are freed and in Him they rejoice.


What a comfort it is to know that, for those of us who are Christians, "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms" (Deuteronomy 33v27), and just this morning I listened to an encouraging message "Knowing God - Or rather Known of God" (to listen to the message, click here).


2 comments:

SarahElisabeth said...

Hazel, that is such a long time. May you know God's purposes for you even in this trial.

Hazel said...

Thank-you very much Sarah.
Hazel.