Monday, 23 April 2012

I Once Was A Stranger

Time for another favourite hymn –

I once was a stranger
To grace and to God;
I knew not my danger,
And felt not my load;
Though friends spoke in rapture
Of Christ on the tree,
Jehovah Tsidkenu
Was nothing to me.

Like tears from the daughters
Of Zion that roll,
I wept when the waters
Went over His soul!
Yet thought not that my sins
Had nailed to the tree,
Jehovah Tsidkenu -
‘Twas nothing to me.

When free grace awoke me,
By light from on high,
Then legal fears shook me,
I trembled to die;
No refuge, no safety
In self could I see;
Jehovah Tsidkenu
My Saviour must be.

My terrors all vanished
Before the sweet name;
My guilty fears banished,
With boldness I came
To drink at the fountain,
Life–giving and free:
Jehovah Tsidkenu
Was all things to me.

E’en treading the valley,
The shadow of death,
This watchword shall rally
My faltering breath;
For, when from life’s fever
My God sets me free,
Jehovah Tsidkenu
My death-song shall be.

Robert Murray M’Cheyene, 1813 – 1843

“And this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The Lord our righteousness (Jehovah Tsidkenu)” Jeremiah 33 v 16.


No comments: