Thursday, 16 February 2012

My Friend

This is another poem from "Songs in the Night", a collection of Christian poems by Michael R Abbott; used with permission.

My Friend

Jesus is my soul's salvation,
He will keep me to the end;
King of kings and Lord eternal,
Yet He deigns to call me friend.

Once upon the cross He suffered,
Once for sinners shed His blood,
Once He died it is sufficient:
Oh the precious cleansing flood!

Jesus lives: the powers of darkness
Could not keep Him in the grave.
Having borne for me the judgment,
He rose up with power to save.

Jesus reigns, the King of heaven,
Saviour, Victor, God's own Son:
For His people interceding,
Till the course of time is run.

Then in heaven I shall be with Him,
All His promises fulfilled.
Oh the bliss to be with Jesus
When the storms of life are stilled.

"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit" (1 Peter 3 v 18).

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

That's a blessing. Thank you, Hazel :)