Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Elect In Christ

Another poem from “Songs in the Night” by Michael R Abbott; used with permission

Elect In Christ

Condemned through sin, by birth and choice,
Until I heard the Saviour’s voice:
“Why do you linger in your sin?
I am life’s door, so enter in”.

Upon the cross I saw Him nailed,
As though by my own sin impaled.
‘Twas love that held Him to the tree:
He shed His blood to make me free.

Elect before the world began;
God’s purposes the ages span.
I ask not how the cry of faith
Can save the soul: ‘tis all of grace.

Boldly I come before His throne,
I have no merit of my own,
The blood of Christ is all I plead:
It’s all I have and all I need.

Eternally the Saviour reigns,
Yet, in his mercy, still He deigns
To lift the sinner from his plight
And clothe his soul in raiment white.

Salvation now in Him is found,
And by His death does grace abound,
He draws men from the mire of sin
And gives them peace and joy within.


“I am the door: by Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture” (John 10 v 9).



No comments: