Thursday, 11 August 2011

Doubt and Assurance

Another poem from “Echoes of Eternity” by Michael R Abbott; used with permission.

Doubt and Assurance

If I died and went to heaven
In my present sinful state,
I would spoil the Holy City
Just by passing through its gate.
I do feel to be unworthy
And I know that it is true.
Is there any hope for sinners?
Is there aught that I can do?

If I spend my days in worship
And in prayer to God above,
If I seek to help the needy
Through my acts of Christian love,
If I give my life a martyr
In the service of the King,
Yet my sin cries out against me
And my works no comfort bring.

Yet the Bible gives an answer:
There is hope if I should heed
And fall down before the Saviour
To confess my deepest need.
For He died to make me worthy
And to cleanse me from my sin:
Jesus is the gate to heaven
And He waits to let me in.

I shall go there clothed in beauty
With a robe of righteousness,
Which through Jesus is provided,
Such is His delight to bless.
All my sin is taken from me
And cast in the deepest sea:
Thus I shall be with my Father
Throughout all eternity.


No comments: